Sunday 28 April 2013

Living Below the Line 06: Day Five: The Finish Line


Flumps!  That was all it bought me.  A 10g Flumps Twist.  Not very exciting, not very filling and not very nutritious.  But it was much harder than I had anticipated to purchase something for just 10p in the supermarket.  It was the wrong time of day and perhaps the wrong part of the country (Cheltenham) for serious bargains in the reduced section so I tried my lie with loose fruit, priced by the weight.  The cheapest apples were £1.19 per kilo but the smallest apple still came to 21p.  Bananas were just 69p per kilo but the cheapest single fruit I could find would have been 12p.

Next I tried the deli counter where you can buy any quantity you desire.  Identifying the lowest-priced cheese as Red Leicester at £6.60 per kilo, I asked how much I could get for 10p and was told that I could get the amount he would give me for free anyway if I asked to taste the product.  This was not exactly the point but I deduced that 10p does not buy you very much cheese!  Walking up and down the aisles, I scoured any product that bore a sub-10p price tag and eventually spotted one in the confectionary section.  Flumps!  Airy, bland marshmallows that claim to be fat-free (they are pretty much everything-free) and naturally flavoured (with sugar).


And so the challenge ended – on Friday night with my usual dinner of boiled rice, boiled veg and Quorn sausages but with a special treat to celebrate Shabbat; a Flumps Twist -very ceremonious!  I am so glad I did it, despite the hard times on Wednesday and Thursday (which, incidentally seem to have passed as today I felt fine).  It was the Enough Food For Everyone IF campaign and the connections with our Passover narrative that prompted me to consider Live Below the Line.  IF campaign is both practical and conceptual and it was this holistic approach that really got me thinking about models of Social Action and Social Justice in our society and in our religious organisations.

We often raise money for a 'good cause', sometimes we even donate useful items or give of our time to make a difference; and these are all wonderful and worthwhile things to do.  But most of our Social Action work is influenced by the Victorian model of charity and creates a very strong dichotomy of 'us' and 'them'; doing for rather than doing with.  Living Below the Line gave me the opportunity to respond to the Passover Haggadah's call to 'let all who are hungry come and eat' in a way that integrated the more traditional models of raising money through sponsorship and raising awareness about an issue with something more experiential and more profound; potentially an experience that begins to break down the barriers between 'us' and 'them'.

I am not sure what I do next with these insights.  I hope that just by writing about them it has served at least to get others thinking too.  I will certainly think differently about my weekly shop, perhaps being a little more careful about whether I spend my money on unnecessaries and what else I could be doing with that change.  I also want to learn more about the UK food industry and why it is that heavily processed, packaged and transported foods that contain little nutritional value are so much cheaper than fresh produce that is grown locally and staple grains that can sustain and nourish.  More than anything, I would like to commit now to doing this again next year and to encouraging others to join me and gain some of those first-hand experiences for themselves.

If you were inspired by this project, please consider sponsoring me by clicking on the link below.  The money will go to Tzedek, a social justice charity that works with the world's poorest communities and supports projects and empower and create sustainability.


Day Five Tally:

Breakfast: 80g cornflakes with 113ml whole milk, watered down.  
Cost: 14p.  
Calories: 381.

Snack: Toasted tea cake.  
Cost: 3p (reduced).  
Calories: 188.

Dinner: 2 Quorn sausages, rice, soup mix, carrots & cabbage.  
Cost: 50p.  
Calories: 561.

Lunch: Packet of Tomato Pasta and an orange.  
Cost: 31p.  
Calories: 412.

Treat: Flumps Twist.  
Cost: 10p.  
Calories: 30.

DAY FIVE TOTALS: Cost: £1.09  Calories: 1,572.  Five-A-Day: 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment