Thursday 25 April 2013

Living Below the Line 04: Day Three: The Hunger Pains


Today I started to feel bad.  I am not really hungry – a bit hungry perhaps, but not too hungry.  But I do feel bad.  I feel dizzy and weak and my vision is slightly blurry.  My skin is dull and my feet are stone cold.  After three days of eating only about 1600 calories, I would not have expected to feel like this; so I can only conclude that it is what I am eating and not how much I am eating that is having this detrimental effect.

There is really very little nutritional value in most of it.  I am used to eating more, admittedly, but I am also used to eating a pretty healthy diet (most of the time!).  An average breakfast might consist of poached eggs on seeded toast with slices of tomato followed by an apple or a banana mid-morning.  A lazy lunch might be a tuna and salad wrap and if I am more organized I might bring rye crackers, salad and hummus from home; while a typical after work dinners tofu and vegetable stir fry with buckwheat noodles or brown rice.  There may be an opportunity for a couple of biscuits or a slice of cake at some point in the day but overall, it is a diet that includes reasonably healthy protein, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and mostly whole grains.


By contrast this week I am mostly eating heavily processed corn flakes, heavily processed instant noodles, heavily processed white tea cakes and heavily processed white rice, all of which is high in salt and sugar.  The only protein is a small amount of watered down milk each morning and two heavily processed Quorn sausages each night.  Admittedly, I am managing 3 a day with one carrot, one orange and a portion of cabbage; but overall there is little of nutritional value going into my system.

I knew this would be the case but am very surprised at just how quickly it has taken its toll.  I cancelled a workout this morning because I did not think I would cope and I am certainly not working at full capacity in the office.  I thought I had done well to have bought enough food to have three meals a day but when those meals have little substance, it turns out that the body and mind start to suffer far sooner than I could have imagined.

This is alarming!  Not least because it illustr


ates the situation of countless children in this country who Live Below the Line and who are expected to benefit from an education on a stomach that may be nominally full but that does not contain the nutrients they need to stay alert and able to learn.  What is even more alarming is the fact that even a few days of poor nutrition, perhaps as payday approaches in a low-income family, could impair the ability to learn or to work, which in turn may have a longer term effect on future prospects.

It was poignant for me that the lead story on the front of today's Metro bore the headline: "The hunger on all our doorsteps".  The second paragraph stated: "Almost 350,000 people, including 126,000 children, have received at least three day's meals from food banks in the past 12 months."  That is an unthinkable number of people who have felt how I feel now, or worse, for at least the three days I have.  When I start to complain about feeling bad, I will think of them and feel lucky instead that this is but a temporary choice.  When I am tempted to give up and eat a Maoz falafel in pita, I will think of them and not even dare.

Day Three Tally:

Breakfast: 80g cornflakes with 113ml whole milk, watered down.  
Cost: 15p.  
Calories: 381.

The Staff Lunch I did not eat
Lunch: Packet of super noodles and an orange.  
Cost: 27p.  
Calories: 470.

Dinner: 2 Quorn sausages, rice, soup mix, carrots & cabbage.  
Cost: 50p.  
Calories: 561.

Snack: Toasted tea cake.  
Cost: 2p (reduced).  
Calories: 188.

DAY ONE TOTALS: Cost: 94p.  Calories: 1,600.  Five-A-Day: 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment