Friday 26 April 2013

Living Below the Line 05: Day Four: No Variety and No Spice


I have now eaten tasteless cornflakes with watery milk for four days, bland rice, bland veg, dry oranges and bland noodles.  I am bored.  I cannot afford to add salt or spices to anything so everything tastes much the same – of not much.  And it all looks pretty similar too – pale and uniform, a substance in a bowl.  I have started to notice that the boredom of palate has led to some unusual behavior.  While the lack of nutrition may be taking its physical toll, the lack of variety seems to be taking its psychological toll.

Even though I am feeling hungry most of the time, when I do sit down to eat these anemic dishes, I have no appetite for them.  I eat them quickly and unthinkingly; the aim is to get fuel inside as quickly as possible and they are gone before I have noticed I have eaten them.  Three times today I forgot to take photographs of the food before eating because the mindless need to consume something took over before I had a chance to think about my photo-journal.  I love food.  I love flavours and textures and colours and spice; but this is sustenance not food.


I have also started gazing absentmindedly but longingly at anything more appealing; be it a colleagues lunch, an advert that features food on the tube or any edible item that happens to fall into my frame of vision.  Suddenly I will realise that I am staring at it and wonder how long I have been captivated.  It is a most peculiar experience and I am sure it is not based on simple hunger but rather a psychological and physical need for more variety and therefore more varied nutrition.  I didn't think I would care that much and I didn't think I valued variety and interest so highly when it comes to diet but I will certainly be more appreciative of every aspect and sensation of the food I eat next week!

I am both apprehensive and excited about tomorrow.  Apprehensive because I have to drive to and around Gloucestershire and, while I have been happy to put up with my slightly dazed, slightly dizzy state at home, in the office and on the tube, I am not sure how safe I will feel behind the wheel while less than 100% alert.  I have however taken some precautions and it is these that lead me to be excited.

By calculating the cost of the 1/2 bag of rice I have not used and the 1/5 packet of cornflakes  I have not eaten and deducting the cost of the 2.5 teaspoons of soup mix I took from my cupboard, I have an extra budget of 10p to spend tomorrow!  This means that I can eat cornflakes and a toasted tea cake for breakfast to set me up for the first long drive.  I will cook rice, vegetables and Quorn sausages in the morning to take with me to eat for lunch so that I am well-nourished for the afternoon driving.  Then the real treat happens!

I will have ten whole pence to spend as I so wish during the afternoon on something new and exciting that I have not yet consumed this week.  This is both functional because it means I will not be too dizzy to drive but also genuinely quite a thrilling prospect.  I have no idea how far I can make 10p stretch.  Perhaps I will find something reduced, and absolute bargain, and end up eating an egg sandwich or a chocolate muffin.  I my find some budget product that I have never noticed before that delights me with its newness and its not being beige.  And if all else fails, I can buy 10p worth of penny sweets – although I do not think that means 10 actual sweets these days.  Whatever it is, I am sure I will savour it more than I have ever savoured anything that cost me 10p before.

Day Five Tally:

Breakfast: 80g cornflakes with 113ml whole milk, watered down.  
Cost: 14p.  
Calories: 381.

Snack: Toasted tea cake.  
Cost: 3p (reduced).  
Calories: 188.

Dinner: 2 Quorn sausages, rice, soup mix, carrots & cabbage.  
Cost: 50p.  
Calories: 561.

Lunch: Packet of Tomato Pasta and an orange.  
Cost: 31p.  
Calories: 412.

Treat: Flumps Twist.  
Cost: 10p.  
Calories: 30.




DAY FIVE TOTALS: Cost: £1.09  Calories: 1,572.  Five-A-Day: 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment