Friday 12 April 2013

Living Below the Line: 01: Accepting the Challange


First a friend and colleague mentioned it, declaring that she could not possibly do it since she has a baby but I could.  Then emails started appearing from other Rabbis from across the Jewish community who were taking it on.  And finally the Montagu Centre declared it a staff initiative that we would do as Team Liberal Judaism!  It seemed that I was destined to Live Below the Line!

Initial internet research showed that journalist Kath Kelly did it for a whole year so surely it could not be that hard to live on just £1 a day for just five days.  Well, I fell at the first hurdle – which five days?  The official challenge runs from 29th April to 3rd May but I will be in Jerusalem during those dates for an international conference, staying in the conference hotel and having three meals a day placed in front of me.  Technically therefore, I could quite easily live on £1 a day for any extras but I am pretty sure that is not really the point!


To live below the line healthily, you need to be at home with a kitchen so you can cook staple foods.  To live below the line ethically, you need not to be going to an event where fine food will be freely available.  And so the diary games began!  During these five days I am in Dublin for work and during those five days I am running an Israeli food workshop.  During these five days I have a 95th to attend and during those five days I am invited to a Patrons' Dinner at the House of Lords!

Feeling unbelievably fortunate to have such opportunities, I realised that I was going to have to do this properly or not at all.  They have tap water in the House of Lords after all!  And so it was decided that I will live below the line from Monday 22nd April to Friday 26th April 2013, including one very awkward Patrons' Dinner and one agonizing cookery workshop!  This is certainly going to be a challenge!



No comments:

Post a Comment